Adhesion testing is a critical aspect of multi-component rubber products, and frequently should be considered for both rubber-to-rubber interfaces and rubber-to-reinforcement interfaces. There are many conditions that can affect the adhesion of rubber to various substrates such as metal and fabrics. Commonly evaluated in tires
, adhesion is also used as a common property in a wide range of other rubber products.
Adhesion testing methods
- Shear testing of reinforcements-to-rubber adhesion
- Steel cord
- Bead wire
- Textiles: nylon, polyester, rayon and polyaramids
- Quadruple shear method for adhesion to rigid plates
- Fracture tear / peel force adhesion testing of rubber-rubber interfaces
- Fracture tear / peel force adhesion testing of rubber-to-rigid surfaces
- Roller peel adhesion testing
- Strebler tear adhesion testing
- 90° peel for adhesion to metal
- Two plate method for adhesion to textile fabrics
Common Standards for adhesion testing
- ASTM D413— Standard Test Methods for Rubber Property—Adhesion to Flexible Substrate
- BS ISO 1827— Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic. Determination of shear modulus and adhesion to rigid plates. Quadruple-shear methods
- BS ISO 36— Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic -- Determination of adhesion to textile fabrics
- BS ISO 813— Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic -- Determination of adhesion to a rigid substrate – 90-degree peel method
- BS ISO 814— Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic -- Determination of adhesion to metal -- Two-plate method
About the Labs
Our rubber testing labs are equipped with six universal testing machines, covering a calibrated load range of 1N up to 250kN. Our testing machines are supported by an extensive range of sample grip combinations. Additional environmental chambers enable our experts to conduct testing in a temperature range from -50°C to 200°C.
Our extensive sample preparation facilities can test a huge variety of materials and product forms and are equipped with a CNC machine, on-site moulding, and slitting and buffing equipment to reduce rubber thickness.