In challenging environments, validating material compatibility is critical to performance success. A combined testing program can provide a more complete understanding of material behavior.
Smithers expert Ivan Legge provides an overview of how a combined testing program can help aerospace companies
optimize their component performance in a volatile environments.
How can this testing be customized?
We specialize in developing custom testing programs based around client requirements and the end-use environment conditions for the material. For clients looking to enhance specific material properties, or compare the physical performance of different test samples we can design a test program around these specified parameters.
What are the key standards for aerospace?
There are numerous standards which involved fluid compatibility testing:
- RTCA 160 – Section 11: Fluids Susceptibility
- Mil-STD-810 – Method 504 Contamination by Fluids
- DEF-STAN 00-035 – Chapter 4-04 Test CN4 – Contamination by Fluids
- BS ISO 1817 – Rubber, vulcanised or thermoplastic – Determination of the effect of liquids
- SAE J2260 – Resistance to Zinc Chloride on non-metallic fuel system and coolant pipes.
What common combinations are there for fluid susceptibility and physical testing?
We regularly perform a combined testing program on aerospace hoses, including:
- Fuel hoses: both aviation and automotive fuels
- Hydraulic hoses: wide range of hydraulic fluids
- Coolant hoses: wide range of coolant fluids
- Seals: from fluid distribution systems to window seals, these could encounter a wide range of fluids.
After the initial fluid compatibility test program is complete, a visual examination of the condition of the sample’s surface will be undertaken and recorded. Depending on client requirements and sample configuration we can tailor a physical testing program around the fluids testing, assessing a range of physical qualities such as:
- Change in hardness
- Weight change
- Volume swell
- Change in dimensions
- Tensile properties
- Compression properties.
Find out more:
Aerospace Testing Facilities
Fluid Contamination and Susceptability Testing
Environmental Resistance Testing