Most polymeric materials – rubber and plastics – are susceptible to structural change from factors in their environment. Smithers offers specialized expertise in polymer performance change caused by environmental conditions. We can advise on appropriate test methodology to suit your application.
Our environmental rubber and plastics testing labs will provide you with confidence in the durability and performance of your product or component, enabling an understanding of its operational limitations within its end-use service environment.
Our expert team are able to:
- Create a custom test method tailored to the material/product and its life cycle
- Assess material performance when exposed to environmental stress
- Investigate issues with material selection and processing and suggest design improvements
Specialist environmental testing areas:
Products and materials tested include:
- Rubber, plastics, and composite materials
- Flexible sheet / film
- Pipes and fittings
- Subsea connection systems
- Hoses and flexibles
- Protective clothing and coated fabrics
- Life safety appliances
- Harnesses and restraints
- Paint and surface finishes
Standards and accreditation
Smithers can test to a range of international standards across multiple demanding markets, including those specific to commercial, aerospace, and defense requirements, including:
- DEF STAN 00-35
- BS ISO 1431-1 (BS ISO 1817)
For more information on how we can develop a custom testing program to a specific standard or set of standards, please contact our team.
Download a brochure for more information: