Our exclusive content:
- The trends and technology that will influence the packaging market over the next 10 years
- The long-term influence of Covid-19 on the packaging industry and forecasts for the severity of the impact
- The impact of sustainability upon the packaging industry.
Global packaging grew from $843.8 billion to $914.7 billion during 2015–19 with a compound annual growth rate of 2.0%. Due to the Covid-19 outbreak in 2020 it is expected that global packaging will experience a drop of approximately 6% in 2019–2020 to $859.9 billion. The market in 2020–30 is expected to recover, reaching $1.13 trillion in 2030.
The report investigates a number of factors that are expected to influence the packaging market over the next decade including economic and demographic changes, sustainability and regulatory factors, technology advances, brand and retailer changes, end-use trends, packaging substrate trends and regional trends. Some of the trends within these areas that will be examined are aging population, the war on single-use plastics, smart packaging and e-commerce.
What will you discover?
The Smithers methodology
- Comprehensive assessment of the key technology developments, substrate trends, brand and retailer factors driving packaging design and end use
- The effect of economic and demographic changes on the packaging market over the next decade
- How sustainability and regulatory factors, such as the EU Plastics Strategy, are changing the long-term outlook for the packaging industry.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of interviews with packaging material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author:
- Packaging manufacturers and converters
- Brands and retailers
- Raw material suppliers.
Georgy Cameron is a market analyst with Smithers and joined the team in December 2018. Prior to Smithers, Georgy worked as an Aviation Analyst for three years having completed a BSc in Engineering from the University of Sussex. She has worked on over 15 projects for Smithers and has authored three reports: The Future of Active and Intelligent Packaging to 2025; The Future of Flexible Packaging to 2024; and The Future of Packaging in Asia to 2024.