Our exclusive content
- Global flexible packaging consumption will reach 33.5 million tonnes in 2023
- Consumption is forecast to grow during 2023–28 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.2% to 41.23 million tonnes
- Market value (at constant 2022 prices) is projected at $291.2 billion in 2023 and forecast to grow during 2023–28 at a CAGR of 3.2% to $341.6 billion
- The market forecast presented in this report expects that global economic growth is set to slow during 2023
- Comprehensive analysis of flexible packaging market drivers and trends, competitive structure, supply chains, and technology advancements for the period 2018–28
- The report provides detailed historic, current and forecast data for 2018–28, by value and volume, segmenting the market by flexible material type (seven polymers, paper and foil), 18 end-use sectors, eight geographic regional markets, and 13 leading major countries.
What will you discover?
- Key flexible plastic packaging applications that are most vulnerable to replacement by fiber-based or alternative packaging materials
- Examples of how brand owners and converters are making flexible packaging more recyclable and sustainable
- The market potential for new and developing technologies such as chemical recycling and bioplastics
The Smithers methodology
- How further development of mono-material flexible packaging and investment in infrastructure can allow flexible plastic to fully integrate into a circular economy for packaging
- How material and technology developments, such as barrier solutions, will add value and open up new applications for flexible packaging
- Developing markets in the Middle East & Africa are forecast to grow flexible packaging consumption at the fastest rate, followed by Asia-Pacific and Eastern Europe.
This report is based on extensive primary and secondary research. Primary research consisted of targeted interviews with material suppliers, converters and experts drawn from key markets. This was supported by secondary research in the form of extensive literature analysis of published data, official government statistics, domestic and international trade organisation data, company websites, industry reports, trade press articles, presentations, and attendance at trade events.
Who should buy the report?
About the author
- Materials suppliers
- Packaging converters
- Brand owners and packaging buyers
- Packaging and filling machinery manufacturers
- Industry consultants, investors and analysts
David Platt is a freelance business researcher and writer with a broad range of experience in the plastics and packaging industry. He has authored over 50 market reports for Smithers on subjects including global packaging, rigid plastic packaging, PET packaging, flexible packaging, bioplastics, specialty plastics, high-performance packaging films, and pouches, caps & closures. He has participated in consultancy projects and has authored two books for Smithers, and writes for Sustainable Plastics