To preview all available dates and pricing - and to check for any Early Bird discounts - click 'Register' above.
Course dates - click register to select dates
Course details and format
- 4 hours of recorded modules available
- Live Q&A after course completion
Online training: How it works
- Same course content as our in-person course
- 4 hours of expert training delivered via recorded modules hosted online - allowing you to study at a time that suits you
- 28 days access to recordings allowing you to learn at your own pace
- Same high quality Smithers' training experience
- No travel costs or complexities
- Live Q&A with course tutors - ask questions and consolidate learning
- Electronic copies of course notes
Rubber materials are often used in engineering applications where reliable and consistent performance is critically important. But their failure can have damaging and expensive consequences. Understanding the cause can assist in rectifying the issue, limiting the damage and avoiding future failures. This online course will provide an overview of material properties, selection, failure mechanisms and methods used to investigate failure.
- A basic understanding of rubber materials and their key properties.
- A grounding in the principles of selection of rubber materials based on service requirements.
- Knowledge of how rubber materials and components can fail.
- The ability to recognise key modes of rubber component failure.
- An introduction to the methodology employed in order to investigate rubber failure
Gain CPD credits
Smithers is an IOM3 Quailty Assured training provider and our courses are approved towards professional development.
Introduction to Rubber Materials
- Basic introduction to what rubbers/ elastomers are, their fundamental properties and how this affects their performance.,
- Why rubbers/ elastomers need to be formulated and vulcanised to achieve durable performance.
- Overview of the range of rubber types
- Their structure and properties and how these can impact on their selection and durability in service.
Causes of rubber component failure
- Process and criteria for selection of an appropriate rubber type to ensure it is suitable for a given working environment.
Rubber component failure investigation
- Various different modes of rubber product failure and how to recognise them. Includes factors related to design, manufacture, service, environment and also human factors.
Examples of rubber component failures
- The approach to take when investigating the failure of a rubber component.
- Principle analytical tests involved in confirming the root cause.
- A number of typical examples of rubber component failure will be presented, with the cause and method of diagnosis explained.
Who will benefit?
This course will benefit anyone wishing to ensure that a rubber component or material they are using in their product is suitable for the intended service usage, or anyone actively involved in investigating rubber component failures.
You can find out more about our presenters by clicking on their expert profiles
What our delegates say about this course content
"Well presented, good information, practical information gained"
Christopher Wilson - Polymeric Labels
"Excellent, lots learned"
Moore Hills - AB Pneumatics
Questions and queries