The European Adhesives and Sealants Market 2023-2028 is FEICA’s eighth edition of the report and covers the period 2023-2028. The report has been prepared by Smithers on behalf of FEICA, the Association of the European Adhesive and Sealant Industry. The aim of this programme is to provide market statistics from an independent source which are updated at regular intervals. It provides indispensable insights to help companies better position themselves for success in today’s challenging business environment. The geographic scope of the study encompasses Europe, including Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) and Turkey.
With much disruption and uncertainty in the marketplace today, it is crucial to get an accurate picture of the market. This new study discusses the factors influencing market growth by material type or process, end-use and region.
Prospects for growth in the various segments
The report considers A&S economic growth in seven segments. The main points by segment are the following:
Sustainability and energy efficiency continue to be key drivers of future demand.
- Paper, board and related products accounted for the largest part of the overall European A&S market volume in 2022 with 35%, despite only adhesives being used by this segment
- The Building and Construction industry is the second largest segment by volume with a 28% share
- The Assembly/other segment covers a range of industrial manufacturing activities where adhesives and sealants are required for products made from metal, plastics, textiles, glass and ceramics. More products are being manufactured using a mix of substrates that is driving the growth in adhesive bonding to replace metal fasteners such as welding, screws, and bolts
- The Woodworking and Joinery segment growth is mainly linked to that of the construction industry. New opportunities for growth in adhesive use may come from an increase in the employment of timber construction methods to produce ‘greener’ buildings
- The Consumer/DIY boom from the lockdowns in 2020 started to slow in 2022. High inflation and increased mortgage rates have affected growth in this segment into 2023
- The Transportation segment uses adhesives and sealants in the production of various products and applications. Road vehicle production is the largest user of adhesives and sealants in this segment. There are growing opportunities for adhesives and sealants here in terms of, for example, new production processes to replace mechanical fasteners
- The Footwear and leather segment is in gradual decline and is now largely focused on high-end or specialist products
The European adhesives and sealants market in 2022 was 4.8 million tonnes with a value of €19.9 billion. The combined demand for adhesives and sealants in Europe is forecast to see a small increase in volume between 2021 and 2028. Sustainability and energy efficiency continue to be key drivers of future demand. Respondents to the survey carried out for this report also identified unmet needs that require adhesive and sealant performance enhancements. One of the examples of these needs are an increased resistance to weather and environmental conditions of adhesives and sealants in order to extend their life expectancy and reduce maintenance costs.
A description brochure with sample pages and order form are available to download from the FEICA website here: https://www.feica.eu/information-center/market-reports
More information on FEICA is available via www.feica.eu