ISO 9001 Advantage
Learn how ISO 9001:2015 can be a hidden advantage in business management.
A common misconception is that the ISO 9001 Quality Management System will prevent a company from being creative in its implementations of production services due to its strict regulations. ISO 9001, though holding high implementation standards, was designed to fit the needs of the company and meet its company objectives. There are common mistakes companies make that prevent their certification from aiding in their personalized objectives.
1. Plugging in information- While it may seem easier to gather sample forms online and insert your company’s information, this is the greatest cause of rigid management standards. By using a “plug-and-play” approach, a company gives up its ability to tailor the certification process to its unique standards, thus failing to meet its personal objectives.
2. Disunity in written process and performed processes- While a written manual describing the process of delivering a product or service must be given to auditors during the time of the audit, the process is delayed when the written manual and the actual process that are inspected do not match. By failing to communicate the procedures that are currently in place within a company, the auditing process (and, as a result, the certification process) is delayed.
3. Thinking ISO 9001 is solely for manufacturing businesses- While it is understandable why this a popular belief, the most recent version (2015) of ISO 9001 was designed to specifically help organizations outside the manufacturing sector.
1. Focus on the 7 Quality Management Principles- This is a set of standards created by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) to make implementing a quality management system easier.
a. Customer Focus
d. Process Approach
f. Evidence-Based Decisions
g. Relationships Management
2. Be specific- This is crucial to ensuring your company can continue to be flexible and creative in implementing its services. By giving the auditors a specific process that has been in effect, the auditors will better issue non-conformances that need fixed to meet certification standards. These non-conformances are essential in realizing where a company can be more efficient in meeting its goals.
While the certification process may seem daunting at first, the benefits of ISO 9001 certification far outweighs the lengthy process. There are 1.1 million certified companies internationally. Of the 1.1 million, 85% reported an increase in demand for products and services and are paid 7% more on average. Through working with a certification body and having clear company goals, ISO 9001 will help meet a company’s unique needs while allowing for creativity in the process.
Visit our ISO 9001:2015 Certification Services page to learn more.