Food contact regulations stipulate the requirements your food contact material or product needs to comply with. Legislative requirements vary depending on market, and our experts can help you demonstrate food contact compliance in the relevant regions for your business.
Our team can:
- Advise on the legislative requirements for your region
- Analyse your food contact materials to show compliance
- Audit your compliance system and provide recommendations
- Provide training on legislation and food contact compliance
- Investigate issues which are preventing you from complying with food contact regulations.
We provide expert support for the majority of international food contact regulations:
- EU regulations
- EU member states’ national legislations
- FDA regulations
- Other global regulations.
European food contact compliance
In the EU, all food contact materials have to comply with The Framework Regulation No 1935/2004, and the Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) Regulation No 2026/2006.
Read more about EU food contact regulations
USA food contact compliance
In the USA, Chapter 21 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) sections 170 to 199 contains a comprehensive body of food contact legislation for a wide range of food contact materials from plastics through papers to adhesives.
Read more about FDA regulations
Global food contact compliance
Outside of the EU and USA, there is a variety of legislation:
- Reasonably comprehensive legislations in Canada, Latin America, Japan, South Korea, China and Israel
- Regulations covering some food contact aspects in India and some countries in South East Asia
- Little or no specific legislation – but recognition that EU or FDA compliance is sufficient – in some other countries such as Australia or New Zealand.
The Smithers difference:
- Experts who have a deep understanding of food packaging regulations and keep up-to-date with regulatory changes, who are regular speakers at world-leading conferences and training course leads
- Our experts have been helping clients demonstrate food contact regulatory compliance since 1985.
Download a brochure for more information: